Thursday, January 25, 2007

I've Started So I'll Finish

I've been putting off that moment when I have to start AZX300 20th Century Literature. Got a good reason. I don't know where to start. I know lots about how to study, methods that suit me, presentation, spelling, grammar, understanding how I learn, an expert at organised note keeping on my computer. I use Word as a desktop website with internal hyperlinks to other documents, linked menus and indexes. I could play for hours with my beautifully displayed Bulleted Lists but the thought of a 1500 word first submitted assignment has reduced me to a mindless jelly fish. And on Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard. Got that right. The title of the play written in Italics. That's all I've taken in so far.

I've decided to approach this course as if it were my first and not my seventh, but using all the study skills I've learned along the way. I didn't have these skills on my first OU course. The content is something else.

So I started yesterday. Instant relief at getting something down on 'Paper'. Didn't matter about the quality, simply seeing some sort of structure growing was satisfying. But I already know my weaknesses in debate and discussion. I want to agree with all the experts. I don't want to argue with them. I don't want to oppose their learned opinions as to whether Chekhov wrote a comedy or a tragedy. Yes it is a Tragedy. Oh no it isn't. It's a Farce. Satire? Yes! That's it. It's all of them.

I have another problem being Objective both in reading the text of the play and viewing the DVD stage production. My Paternal Grandfather was a Russian peasant. So was Chekhov's. My Father was a shopkeeper. So was Chekhov's. I feel involved as my Grandfather fled Russia for England around 1905. We know that Chekhov wrote The Cherry Orchard before the 1905 Peasant Uprising, seen as a rehearsal for the 1917 Russian Revolution, so we know what's coming. I am finding it difficult to stand back from the characters and I dislike the Aristocratic family, I want to tell the Servants to stop fawning over their Masters. That they are free. I admire the Serf who becomes a successful business man. I admire the young student Peter who no doubt became a Revolutionary.

But all my non-objective thoughts won't answer the Course Team's TMA Question.

I have started so I'll finish.

But I look forward to the new Level 3 Creative Writing Course promised to be launched in 2008. Then I can make it all up again.

4 Comments:

Blogger hesitant scribe said...

It sounds like you've made a great start already; you've read the text and you've engaged with it! And the writing - you've started putting thoughts down too. What more could a tutor ask for - besides the beautifully written essay of course ;)

As for arguing with the 'experts' - that's what they are there for! Find some you agree with to back up your own thoughts, and then use evidence from the texts/secondary sources to put your own argument forward.

You're right to not worry about the quality - you can fix all that later; the structure, paragraphing, and so on. I find it easier to write the introduction last, when I know what it is I've written, and the same for the conclusion. And then the editing for typos, sentences etc last of all.

I'd have you in my class anytime!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Thank you. A chance meeting in BlogWorld and you've given me the key.

Your second paragraph did it. I wasn't sure where to go with 'argue' but I am now.

Also - I have begun with the middle and now see that until I've said what I have to tell them I can't begin to tell them what I am going to tell them and what I have told them by way of introduction and conclusion.

I am encouraged.

Please keep popping in.

11:18 PM  
Blogger hesitant scribe said...

So pleased you are encouraged! I wrote a short guide to writing lit essays for my students collated from all the good advice I got when I was an undergrad and from teaching study skills - if you want a copy (may be useful - who knows?!) email me using the link on my profile, and I'll reply with said word doc attached :)

10:44 AM  
Blogger skibunny said...

I'm on my 7th OU course and will be doing the creative writing course you've just finished, next year. I too am looking at the first TMA for this years AXZ300 course and don't know where to start. A 4 month gap between courses allows my mind to crumble and forget how to write essyas again. it's cruel that the first assignment is non-subsititutable. E mail me, I'm sure we coulsd help each other over the duration of this course. jayne_taylor@hotmail.com

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home