Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sandwiches and Bikes

A couple of weeks ago we ate a beautiful sandwich in a Costa Coffee at a service station on the M23. Good granary bread, spread with butter, filled with crayfish, rocket and mayonnaise.It cost about four pounds. It was delicious.
Yesterday we chose to cycle to a country pub for a sandwich lunch. What a strenuous bike ride that turned out to be. Even with my fully charged battery giving me pedalling power up the hills, my legs were aching within the first mile - and we had six more miles to cycle before we got there. The hills were so steep, the lanes so narrow, cars and tractors nudging my backside to get out of the way. The hedgerows are overgrown and I had to hug so close to them as cars passed me that if I hadn't been wearing sunglasses the thorns could have damaged my eyes.
The pub was another twee place. Nicotine coated Toby jugs on shelves, a scabby, overweight pub dog snuffling around the tables for dropped food; the resident elderly local hugging the prime seat at the bar; jovial tapster giving me a knife and fork to eat my prawn sandwich, with the words,
'You'll need these utensils for our sandwiches luv!'
I do not need a knife and fork to eat yet another bog standard brown sliced supermarket loaf of bread sandwich! I do not need a knife and fork to spear limp shreds of raddichio leaves served as garnish! Does anyone ever eat those bitter leaves? Crisps! If I'd wanted a packet of crisps I'd have ordered them. Margarine! Lost for words now. The only good point was it 'only' cost four pounds.
I've grown out of these idylic country pubs that sell rubbish food; that think a jacket potato with tuna is innovative. I shall stick to high street wine bars, bistros and cafe-bars that serve punchy, imaginative, fresh food at a value for money price.

3 Comments:

Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Abbotsbury is lovely and the Hive Beach is as far as I've cycled so far as I don't think I can manage Abbotsbury Hill!

Those very expensive flats at West Bay! They start at half a million for the cheapest. Those little chalets next to them along the front are selling for about £160K because the developer wanted to buy them all out but people hung onto them and probably will do until the price is right.

There are lots of good eating places round here but because cycling is a new interest we keep hitting these places with dodgy sandwiches.

Off to charge my battery now ready for another excursion ;-)

Sounds like you had a great day out.

8:36 AM  
Blogger pal said...

Pub grub never seems to have a healthy option on their menus either. It's usually chips with everything. :-(

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home