Thursday, September 21, 2006

Drunken Yobs

I couldn't bring myself to post the photo of my Mini Cooper without the black bin liners taped to it's rear! I'd driven to East Sussex to spend five days with my Mum as she's alone while her husband is in hospital having major back surgery. I arrived Friday afternoon and got together with her sorting a few things out with plans to drive to the coast, have pub lunches in sunny gardens, go shopping and generally relax.
I was asleep in the front bedroom on Friday night around midnight when I heard loud male voices and one female voice say,
'Don't wind him up!' and then a dull thud - then silence.
Very soon after a knock at the front door. My Mum rushed out of bed to open the door. I said not to answer it but it was her neighbours just returning from an evening out to tell her that somebody had thrown a brick through the rear windscreen of my car! Still in my pyjamas I helped him tape it up at one in the morning which was very kind of him wasn't it?
I hope that person feels good about themselves. I spent all Saturday morning on the telephone to the police Then 'phoning my broker for insurance details as I had no documentation with me. Then arranging with AutoGlass for repairs. Of course they didn't have the rear windscreen in stock. They could get a replacement by Sunday but only if I drove to Tunbridge Wells as no fitters could do roadside on a Sunday. I wimped out of driving there with the car like that. I had to wait until Monday afternoon. The new windscreen cost around £600........
Mum and I got out in taxis but couldn't do the things I had planned. Strange though - When I had my soft-top it got slashed twice by drunken yobs and I said no more soft-tops for me and then they go and do this.
A car can be repaired but Mum and I can't recapture those five days, already in an already stressful situation worrying about my step-dad, spoiled by this incident.
When I heard the dull thud I had no idea it was glass shattering. If it had sounded like glass I would have been up like a shot along with my camera and taken a photo of the villains as evidence.
Morty and my daughter phoned me up on the Sunday afternoon, and after Morty had asked after everyone he said, 'And how's the car?'
I gulped as I replied gazing at the ruin on the street and told him it was just fine!

6 Comments:

Blogger pal said...

Oh Morning how awful for you. £600 for a windscreen yikes! All that hassle and stress.

They say things go in threes - you had your soft top slashed twice, now this. So you have had your full quota now and hopefully that is absolutely it.

Hope your Mum and her husband are both recovered now.

PS I'm just thrilled to be able to post comments to you again. I wasn't able to for sometime, I bet you thought it had all gone quiet!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Thanks for this Pal ;-)

£600 is loads isn't it? For the last few years I haven't had an actual car worth that much let alone a rear windscreen.

Mum is doing well and her husband is making a slow recovery.

While I was at my Mum's and using her computer I forgot my Blog password and have been appearing as Anonymous everywhere. Gawd knows what my password is in here as I have so many!

Keep posting!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Thanks for this Delboy! Although I love our car in the big picture they're not that important but when I had my Peugeot CTi Cabriolet somebody stripped it bare of all the trim. It lloked naked and so poorly after that.

There were a couple of identical motors here and I know - just know- that one of them was wearing my trims.

One day one of them was parked near my house and I was so tempted to strip them all back but knew I'd get caught.

See you in Survivors ;-)

11:24 AM  
Blogger Poodle said...

I've had my radio stolen and windscreen wipers switched with someone else's rusty ones with rubber bits like Cheese Strings, but since living somewhere near a pub on a main road, nobody has touched my car! Sorry to hear about yours, and the vast expense. It's a while since you were here, so I hope that everyone is well now (including the car!)

9:46 PM  
Blogger pal said...

Looking forward to your next post? ....

7:55 AM  
Blogger Magic-8-Ball said...

Hi, Dan Wakeman here, sorry to ues this to get hold of you but i don't want you be left out and I didn't find your email address........please for give me...........

I would like to draw your attention to…

A poetry and short story anthology which the A215 South West students are compiling.


A few of us met up and put this idea on the table from which the outcome is to be a 70 page A5 booklet. We are currently voting on the title and would appreciate your vote ASAP. Please take a look and cast your vote online at http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/southwestwriting.
We will soon be taking submissions for the booklet and you are most welcome to contribute up to five pieces of work, which could be either poetry or one complete short story (we will be providing a word/line count ASAP)

To place your order please email me at thinktank888@yahoo.co.uk
If you would like to submit your work:
Please email me at the above address sending your work in an attached Word document. In the body of the email please give the titles of each piece, to check I’ve got all the attachment successfully.
Send five pieces of work only please, numbering them 1-5 with number 1 being the piece you would most like to see in print and so on…
We would ask that if you do make a submission that you buy at least one copy of the anthology.
To pay for your order:
We will be setting up a South West Writing Group Bank account where you will be able to pay by cheque or cash.
As soon as I have the ‘who to make it payable to’ info I will post it on the South West Writing Group home page.
Copies will be selling @ £5.00 each (if required P&P tbc)
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Yours,
Dan Wakeman.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home