Thursday, March 23, 2006

Self Concious

Oh Goodness! I'm beginning to to write sentences without nouns! Like Annie Proulx in her novel 'The Shipping News' and her character Quoyle. 'Proulx routinely does without nouns and conjunctions--"Quoyle, grinning. Expected to hear they were having a kid. Already picked himself for godfather"--but her terse prose seems perfectly at home on the rocky Newfoundland coast.'
I'm beginning to feel self-concious about how I write now. I've always written travel-notes for friends and family as they enjoy reading my personal experiences about countries they may never visit. Some of these have bits in them that could be reworked for use in future stories. Fiction. Autobiographical stuff. But, I've re-read my original easy flowing travel-notes and how natural they are and they simply won't do anymore.
There are glaring 'mistakes' in them. Now I feel that with the knowledge and practice during these first few weeks of A215, in altering them they may appear contrived, fitting into a prescribed format. On the other hand they could improve with me using some of my newly gained skills - as long as I use nouns!
I wonder if others feel the same? Bit wobbly?

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I do feel a bit 'wobbly' still, but more open to both trying to improve and to relax about trying! It sounds like your travel writing would be a great source to rework. I'm sure it wouldn't knock the life out of it!

Thanks for your feedback in the conference. It's a bit patchy how much feedback you get - maybe not using attachments helps with that?

Have a good weekend!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Kate Harrison said...

I find it very cyclical, Mornev. I've been a 'professional'(ie published) writer for three years now and I find that sometimes I look back at my early stuff (or even first drafts of more recent work) and find the technique wanting. I think that if you're new-ish to a taught creative writing course - I don't know your writing history in detail - that you'll want to try out new techniques and ideas, which may enhance your style or 'voice.' Reading an author whose work you enjoy may also have a temporary effect as you sub-consciously mimic or try out aspects of their style. BUT I do believe that every writer has unique qualities in that 'voice' and that, with hard work, that will emerge and feel right for you.

Well done on the good mark for your assignment, by the way.

Kate

10:27 AM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Liz: A good weekend to you as well Liz. The relaxing thing about trying sounds right to me. I did enjoy your activity in the Cafe - muchly.

Kate: I am completely new to creative writing. I've passed five OU courses but they have all been 'academic.' My tutors have always suggested I 'stick to the script' so A215 seemed like a good path to follow as maybe there isn't one.

I read your blog but I also read your author website. I understand your achievements and the hard work -and ongoing hard work. I am impressed.

Thanks for your advice and encouragement. Well, I am spending more on Amazon, buying books, reading, gleaning, so that my credit card debts will be more than the course cost me in the first place.

Off to Amazon right now to buy another one ;-))

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home