Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Birkenau



The Railway Track

Looking at photos to stimulate my poetry skills (cough) seems to be working for me. This is a photo of the railway track at Birkenau in Poland where Jews, gypsies and other victims of Hitler's Final Solution arrived to be gassed, cremated and starved. Looking at these images of the utter hell they all endured make me feel as sad as I did on the day I took the photos.
Although I prefer typing straight into my word processor for my clusters and freewriting, I'm taking notice of the course book and doing poetry using paper and pen. Have to really as so much to alter and also keeping each draft for reference as there could be some good bits in there.
I wish I could attempt this without the need to rhyme lines because I see how that can look contrived, yet I can't do that - yet - hopefully with practice I shall be able to.

3 Comments:

Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

I'm a first timer too. As I'm drafting any poetry I'm writing down any difficulties and successes as I go in my notebook as I think this will be important in the reflection part of the assignment.

Hard to remember anything like that after the event - and there's quite a good % of marks for reflection.

Your freewritng certainly freed something ;-)

We can do it!!!!!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hi, I don't think it matters if poetry doesn't rhyme. To me, it matters most if it just 'sounds right' which is often about the scanning (is that the the right word?) I haven't started trying to write poetry for A215 yet (apart from Haiku) but I have a tiny stash of stuff I wrote about ten years ago that I've never had the guts ti show anyone. This course is all about having the guts, for me!

I'm enjoying your blog. Good idea about using photos - I saw that in the course book but haven't tried it yet!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Hello there Mike. Black and white photos would show the severity more than my colour ones. This was taken on a hot summer's day but even then the wind was chill and we all felt cold.

See you in the A215 Cafe or the OUSA A215 Conference then.

Happy studying.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home