Saturday, January 07, 2006

So Excited

I'm so excited now I've got all the course materials from the Open University for A215 Creative Writing. It's a brand new presentation and although the course doesn't officially start until February it's the sort of course I can get going with before I've even been allocated a tutor. I have no dreams of becoming a published writer but simply want to write better and enjoy the freedom I sense this course will give me to express myself rather than have to stick to 4000 word essays based on course readings. Heavenly! No arguing points, comparisons, evidence and as I'm always being told by my tutors to 'Stick to the script'
There is no script in creative writing. I've begun by keeping a daily journal and as soon as I've put the kettle on for tea in the morning I write down how I feel and what I think before the routine of the day kicks in and my mind gets cluttered. This is supposed to free our minds and maybe provide ideas for future writings. There is some talk of our journals being shown to tutors! I don't think so - not without some heavy editing.
I'm always excited when I begin a new OU course but this one has me salivating.

11 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

I think that writing my thoughts down every day might be a good idea but not so early in the morning. My brain is in such a muddle at this time of day. The first thing I have to do is work out what day it is.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Kat - from muddle maybe comes clarity?

I think the course is saying to me just write it even though it makes no sense. Does what day it is really matter?

I'm up for it.

5:27 PM  
Blogger kat said...

What day it is really does matter to me. If I didn't work out correctly what day it was I would either miss stuff or turn up at the wrong time on the wrong day and make a real mess of things. :-)

7:52 PM  
Blogger west coaster said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:06 AM  
Blogger west coaster said...

I'm thinking of doing A215 next. I'll follow your progress, if you blog it, with interest. Just don't blog your TMAs. It ain't allowed.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

No blogging of TMAs indeed. Specially as these TMAs will be my own imagination and sometimes rather personal.

I certainly will blog my progress and expect me to write at some stage that I hate it and don't want to do it anymore - I always do that with all my OU courses.

Then when it's all over I going on about it being the best OU course I've ever done.

11:32 AM  
Blogger bluefluff said...

Good luck with it, Morning :-)

As far as I know, the only notebook-snooping planned is this bit of the ECA:

This reflective text should discuss the creative process and decision-making involved in the included writings. You should refer to any major draft revisions
and/or quote from or refer to entries in your writer’s notebook as evidence of this
process...

1:17 AM  
Blogger pal said...

Sounds like a great course. Hmmm wonder if I could fit it in with the travelling!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Pal! I am fitting it in. Cuba in March, hopefully Machu Pichu in the summer and I want to go to Latvia for a city break sometime because their currency is the Lat and the Lat equals one pound sterling so I won't get in a mess with it ;-)

6:53 PM  
Blogger pal said...

Cuba in March - now there's a book title :-) Fantastic destinations, look forward to reading all about them.

I expect I'm too late for this year, maybe I'll join West Coaster next year. Is there an exam? I really must check out the Course Description

12:46 AM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

No exam. Just the ECA. Five TMAs and no substitution. Got all the TMA and the ECA questions all together so it is possible to work at your own pace and just join in the online TG activities.

Right now I'm creating a portfolio of characters and feel very mean because they are based on people I know and I am shocked at the way I am describing them. I shall have to change the names to protect the innocent. All very cathartic ;-)

Who knows - I may even be able to use Cuba in a TMA - one of the questions suggests an autobiography about a journey.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home