Monday, August 15, 2005

The Red Shoe


The Red Shoe

Of all the images that have stayed in my mind since visiting Auschwitch near Krakow in Poland last week, this one had a huge impact on me.

The Jews were stripped of all their belongings on arrival at the concentration camp, including shaving the womens' hair off. One of the blocks is dedicated to all the possessions and the wall to wall, floor to ceiling piles of shoes were made even more dramatic by imagining the young woman who would have been wearing these red, wedge heeled shoes.

I have some shoes like that.

4 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

I don't think I could be brave enough to go to Auschwitch.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Visitors arrive by the thousands Kat. It was the expression of disbelief on the faces of some of the very young people as they listened to the guide explaining what happened. Being older its always been something I knew all about but even I felt disbelief when I saw the ovens and the holes in the roof of the 'shower rooms' where they expected water and got cyanide.

3:23 PM  
Blogger ScaryCheri said...

wow...I never knew there was something like that at Auschwitch to visit.....amazing.....fantastic photo!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

I know we all know it happened cheri but seeing it all was still a shock.

It was an all day trip from Krakow and nobody wanted any lunch. When we got back to Krakow in the early evening all I wanted was a Polish cherry vodka and an Expresso.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home