Saturday, June 25, 2005

The Old Scrote

Five years ago our good friend, an eccentric antique dealer fondly known as the Old Scrote, hit seventy years of age. A heavy smoker, never without a cognac in his hand and still jogging every day, Morty bet him £200 that he'd never see seventy five. I think the Scrote made his mind up that he'd collect.

Earlier this year he fell over in the public bar and banged his head and was unconcious. The concerned landlord lay him out on a bench and phoned his wife. Friends were mopping up the blood and phoning the emergency services. The Scrote regained conciousness and the first words he said were ' That Morty isn't going to get away with it - I want my £200!'

Great relief and laughter all round and the ambulance was cancelled. Well, its his seventy-fifth birthday this weekend and he's called in the bet. But he's a generous man and insisted the four of us go out to dinner together this evening. I guess he'll accept the money from Morty and then settle the restaurant bill with it.

We're going the The Riverside Fish Restaurant at West Bay and I'm taking a chance on this happening and going to order lobster! I'll let you know.

5 Comments:

Blogger pal said...

From the web cam it looks a little misty in that part of the world this morning. I hope it brightens up and that you have fantastic views this evening from the restaurant. Have a great night.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Yes it is misty right now Pal but the sun is breaking through gradually. Funny reason for going out but I'm pleased he made the birthday ;-)

10:24 AM  
Blogger kat said...

Great story!

Enjoy your meal.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Nogbad said...

So how was it M?

12:27 PM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Well, the lovely old Scrote took the £200 and we had this wonderful meal. I had fish soup, a sort of bouillabaisse, with rouille and then I went plain and had a huge Dover Sole because I haven't had one for 17 years but it was £25.00 which I think is an appalling price.

Then I had a Frangipane Fig Tart with vanilla ice. We had champagne and good wines and a promise there'd be no more bets on survival.

When the bill came Morty went to pay our half and the Scrote wouldn't hear of it and paid the bill with the £200 - just like I knew he would.

Took photos but the battery packed up.

That is the first time I can remember going out for an expensive evening and not paying out a penny and I loved it. I want to be a kept woman ;-)

The Riverside is a lovely place to eat as its on an island in the middle of the estuary of the River Brit and you have to walk over a tiny bridge to get there.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home