Tuesday, August 02, 2005

What? No Caesar!


It was a lovely walk across the fields to the thatched pub on the beach. I knew what I was going to order for lunch. A Chicken Caesar Salad and sit outside in the sun watching the wobbly, over-exposed flesh that people seem to think is acceptable to flaunt just because they're by the sea.

The dimply flesh and burnt skins didn't let me down as they were there in abundance, but the Caesar Salad certainly did! What I should have had on my plate was young pale lettuce leaves, Caesar dressing, anchovies, croutons, garlic, parmesan cheese and warm grilled chicken served with good bread on the side. What I got was old iceberg, strips of chicken and - worserer than anything else - grated mousetrap cheddar cheese and no bread!

The person who wrote the flowery description on the menu and the kitchen staff (I can hardly say Chef can I?) had obviously never met each other and this cost over £9.00. Where was the Caesar creamy dressing - the parmesan, the croutons, the anchovies? Where was the Caesar?

9 Comments:

Blogger pal said...

Where was the Caesar?

..... better ask Marcus Brutus

3:33 PM  
Blogger kat said...

In contrast I ordered a Caesar salad for lunch in a local bar. It cost £4 and all it said on the menu was 'Caesar Salad' but that was exactly what I got. Delicious.

9:25 AM  
Blogger pal said...

I thought you said you never went out kat! Lunch in a local bar is deffo going out :-)

3:49 PM  
Blogger kat said...

Yes but that was never the end of June and it was only for 1 and a half hours. :-)

8:23 PM  
Blogger pal said...

1.5 hours - thin end of the wedge! :-)

9:14 PM  
Blogger Nogbad said...

Serves you right for going off to the beach while some of us have to work :-)

10:05 AM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Went again yesterday but to a different place for lunch and had a gorgeous dish of moules and lots of bread to dip in the liquer!

Think I'll write to the place with no Caesar on its Caesars and politely tell them they've lost the plot.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no Caesar left because Brutus et tu!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Big grin at gw's comment ;-)

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home