Saturday, August 27, 2005

Lamorna Cove


Lamorna Cove

Lamorna Cove in Cornwall a few miles from Penzance. I last visited here with my late-husband fifteen years ago and returned to Lamorna with Morty this week. I fell in love with Lamorna Cove the first time I saw it and my love has endured.
John le Carre has a home there on the cliffs overlooking the Cove. The post-impressionist artists colonised Lamorna Cove in the early part of the twentieth century.
We stayed in the Union Hotel in Chapel Street in Penzance. The best meal we had was in a super, modern restaurant in Chapel Street called the Bakehouse. I had what I can only describe as 'Posh Fish and Chips'. Scallops, squid, giant prawns and strips of sole rolled in oats and deep fried served with a homemade mayonnaise, and I don't mean Hellmans! To cap it all they served real chunky chips that began with a potato that had to be peeled on the premises.
Other meals we had in the pubs such as The Turks Head and the Admiral Benbow were good but why a whole fresh Megrin sole from Newlyn had to be perfectly cooked but served on a sauce of crab and pink peppercorns that was really a soup was a shame as the soup drowned the fish and I kept getting a mouthful of fish bones; and I'm a fishmonger's daughter.
It was wonderful to return to Lamorna Cove, Penzance, Newlyn and Mousehole and Marazion. We would have visited the Eden Project but the volume of traffic around St Austell was too dreadful to contemplate. Instead we parked the car up when we arrived in Penzance and left it there from our arrival on Wednesday until our departure on Friday. Instead we walked along the coast to all the above villages, stopping for frequent coffee breaks, beer breaks, water breaks and looking for lavvy breaks.
But if you visit this area of Cornwall then make sure you drop into Lamorna Cove and maybe have a pint in The Lamorna Wink and imagine the smugglers, the brandy thieves and the impressionist artists having a good time.

9 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

I love Cornwall but I haven't been for years because it is such a pain to get to from here. Traffic jam after traffic jam. If I head in the other direction up to Scotland then I hardly see any traffic lights let alone a traffic jam. Once past Glasgow the journey is a treat. I will have to make the effort to go back to Cornwall though - I love the coast walks. Have you been to Tintagel?

5:54 PM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Yes Kat - the traffic is dreadful. There are many new roads in Cornwall but it seems that as soon as they build them they're not enough.

We have been to Tintagel but the thing we like about the extreme south-west of Cornwall is that it isn't chocolate box perfect. Penzance has the lovely seamy side of life and Newlyn is the fishing village that means business and a huge fishmarket right on the harbour.

We had to go during the school holidays now that Morty has returned to teaching and thats the price we have to pay - traffic jams.

Our first holiday together was in Scotland and it has lots of happy 'honeymoon' memories for me and also I discovered that I loathe skiing!

8:11 AM  
Blogger kat said...

I have just about been all along the coast of Cornwall and I love it all.

8:27 PM  
Blogger pal said...

Fantastic. It really is hard to beat England on a sunny summers day. Lamorna Cove looks stunning.

2:32 PM  
Blogger ScaryCheri said...

nice post!!
You made me really hungry though....minus the Mayo.
What's with y'all and yer Mayonaise on everything?!? lol

1:16 AM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

Oh yes indeed! Mayo and chips! Mayo and tuna! Mayo and chicken!Mayo and Moules! Mayo sarnies!

10:28 AM  
Blogger ScaryCheri said...

I'll have some mayo with a side of extra mayo please!

*gag*

lol

1:11 PM  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

A comment on your profile and home. When in Spain a couple of weeks ago I visited a leper colony town. There were huge walls built across the mountains to stop the lepers escaping, presumably because no one of sound mind would have wanted to get in. It looked like a mini Great Wall of China and made me sad.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

I know what you mean by feeling sad pyknyk. These cottages were once part of a monastery (sp?) and although we are in the town there is evidence all around of bits of thick stone walls remaining in really odd places - like a memorial to these ill people.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home