Tuesday, January 10, 2006

It gets Better

My last two Open University courses have only had the OUSA Student conference for online communication. I've been very grateful for this as it has been my only point of contact with other students doing the same courses - I don't go to tutorials as they are mostly more than a two hundred miles return journey. On Saturdays? In a very busy tourist area in the South West of England? Not for me.
So A215 gets better because we have the OUSA Conference, plus an OU A215 Cafe for social chat as opposed to course related discussions, plus official online Tutor Groups led by our regional tutor. And then, we get to submit our TMAs and ECA electronically through the OU system and they are to be elelctronically returned by our tutors, marked and commented on.
A215 is completely different to anything I've studied before. It seems that everyone in the OUSA Conference is as motivated as I am. There are some very experienced writers contributing in there who already know what a Haiku is and how to compose one. Poetry in any form scares me as I don't enjoy reading it and the furthest I can go with a poem is a dodgy Limerick. Big confession here too - I don't like Shakespeare, can't stand the Brontes and prefer a bit of Julie Birchell (sp?) and Ian Rankin.
Thankfully there are options in the TMA questions so I shall carefully choose the ones that suit me the best. So far so good.

3 Comments:

Blogger bluefluff said...

I agree it's brilliant that you have an OUSA conference and a course Cafe. This is (especially for the Arts faculty) a Very Rare Privilege. I think the course team knew there would be massive interest even before the course started officially. I'm secretly hoping it will be a successful precedent for other courses :-)

I'm really excited to be involved with this course, even peripherally!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Buggles Balham High Road said...

I'm secretly hoping the same because if I get on with it OK I shall continue and get my Hons by continuing with Arts.

Everyone is excited aren't they? I love the combination of using technology with a course like this.

There's something special about A215 already. I imagine your involvement has much to do with the ICT side of things -so we have a lot to thank you for???????

8:02 AM  
Blogger bluefluff said...

I wasn't in on the early decisions, but I'm heavily involved with briefing the tutors (F2F & online) as well as moderating the tutors conference, & I've got to know the course manager quite well. I'll be modding the student Cafe too. Persuaded them to send me a copy of the course materials, & that book does look quite delicious :-)
(No, my hotel stay wasn't for A215, though that would have been an interesting connection!)

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home